- 1 pound whole-wheat pizza dough
- All-purpose flour for rolling
- 16 slices pepperoni (about 1 ounce)
- 8 mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, cut into 16 pieces (1-inch)
- 4 ounces smoked fresh mozzarella or smoked Gouda, cut into 16 cubes (1-inch)
- 1 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut pizza dough into 8 equal portions. Let rest on a lightly floured surface while you assemble the skewers.
- Thread 2 pepperoni, 2 mushroom halves, 2 pepper pieces and 2 cheese cubes alternately onto eight 6-inch skewers.
- Stretch and pat each portion of dough into a rectangle approximately 4 inches by 6 inches. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons sauce on each portion of dough. Place one skewer on each piece of dough, wrap the dough around the skewer and pinch to seal. Place the skewers seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with oregano (or basil).
- Bake until golden, 15 to 17 minutes. Serve with the remaining marinara for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of Eating Well.
Read more at: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_summer_recipes_for_kids